April 27, 2019
When you can't sleep, your thoughts can be your worst enemy. In this episode, we explain five key strategies to help break the spiral, based on what many believe is the most effective treatment out there: cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia, or CBT-I.
Here's what to remember:
- Log your sleep time to get a reality check on how much you're actually sleeping.
- Write down your anxious thoughts; then replace them with more rational ones.
- Restrict the amount of time you spend in bed based on information from your sleep log.
- Find a relaxation technique.
- Make it a rule: The bedroom is only for sleep (and sex); no electronic devices, no lying in bed, ruminating.