When we’ve been deeply hurt, whether by someone or by circumstances outside of our control, we often wonder if forgiveness is even possible. What if they never say they’re sorry? What if things will never feel “normal” again? Lysa TerKeurst has wrestled with these same questions.
In this episode, you will hear from Lysa as well as Proverbs 31 Ministries Director of Theological Research Dr. Joel Muddamalle and Jim Cress, Lysa’s personal, licensed professional counselor. They'll equip you to …
- Reconsider the misconceptions you've always believed about the forgiveness process, and discover seven truths — about what forgiveness is and isn't — that may surprise you.
- Let go of any bitterness holding you back from offering forgiveness to those who hurt you, and understand the necessity of daily confession.
- Find hope in the losses that are unchangeable, or that feel unforgivable, by trusting in the character of God, even when you don’t understand what has been allowed by God.
- Recognize what codependency is and how it may be keeping you from setting the appropriate boundaries you need to ensure that you and your relationships are healthy.
A note from Proverbs 31 Ministries: This podcast contains content that might not be suitable for young children and may serve as a trigger due to circumstances in your past. Please see the links below if you need help finding a counselor.
- Want more wisdom as you navigate hard relationship dynamics? Find practical next steps, powerful scriptures and timely guidance on how to set realistic, healthy boundaries in Lysa TerKeurst's new book, Good Boundaries and Goodbyes. In the pages of this book, Lysa's personal counselor, Jim Cress, also provides therapeutic insight surrounding the topic of boundaries, helping you confidently apply what you read. Order the Proverbs 31-exclusive version here.
- Ready to take a personal next step in finding a Christian counselor? The American Association of Christian Counselors is a great place to find the right fit for you and your circumstances.
- Has the Therapy & Theology podcast helped you personally gain a fresh, biblical perspective for what you’re facing? Tell us about it by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. When you review and rate the podcast, it helps us reach even more people with biblical Truth and therapeutic wisdom.
Click here to view the transcript for this episode.