In this episode of Therapy & Theology, you’ll hear Lysa TerKeurst; her personal, licensed counselor, Jim Cress; and Proverbs 31 Ministries Director of Theological Research Dr. Joel Muddamalle unpack the topic of narcissism.
Listen in as Lysa, Jim and Joel discuss how to have a confrontational conversation with a narcissist — without being too confrontational. As a reminder, these episodes are not to victimize a person who struggles with narcissism but rather to shed light on this very real and often overlooked topic in the Christian world.
After listening, you will ...
- Be reminded that God is the only One who can handle worship from man, and we cannot label or define Him based on what He does or doesn’t do on our behalf.
- Learn that compassion and healthy boundaries are necessary if you are in a marriage, family or working relationship with a narcissist.
- Understand how to have a constructive conversation with a person who has narcissistic tendencies, and know when it’s time to set stronger boundaries or even end the relationship.
A note from Proverbs 31 Ministries: The content in this podcast covers the topic of narcissism.
Narcissism is a personality disorder that requires a medical diagnosis. Proverbs 31 Ministries does not condone labeling another person with a personality disorder. Please see the links below if you need help finding a counselor.
- Want more wisdom as you navigate hard relationship dynamics? Find practical next steps, powerful scriptures and timely guidance on how to set realistic, healthy boundaries in Lysa TerKeurst's new book, Good Boundaries and Goodbyes. In the pages of this book, Lysa's personal counselor, Jim Cress, also provides therapeutic insight surrounding the topic of boundaries, helping you confidently apply what you read. Order the Proverbs 31-exclusive version here.
- Ready to take a personal next step in finding a Christian counselor? The American Association of Christian Counselors is a great place to find the right fit for you and your circumstances.
- Has the Therapy & Theology podcast helped you personally gain a fresh, biblical perspective for what you’re facing? Tell us about it by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. When you review and rate the podcast, it helps us reach even more people with biblical Truth and therapeutic wisdom.
Click here to view the transcript for this episode.