- Microsoft + Bethesda!
- Microsoft announced a blockbuster $7.5 billion acquisition of Bethesda, bringing some of Mary Jo's favorite video games into the Microsoft Studios family. YES to Wolfenstein! Good for beer drinking!
- Microsoft Ignite 2020
- Microsoft Ignite is happening virtually digitally this week, similarly to Build 2020.
- ~1000 new Teams features
- Microsoft makes its video calling, chat, and SMS text messaging services available to others
- Azure news
- Azure Stack news
- Microsoft Edge is coming to Linux
- Office 2019 will not be the last standalone version of Office
- No real dev news per se
- Lots of security product rebranding and repositioning
- Microsoft 365
- It's official: Windows 10 version 20H2 is done.
- Microsoft is bringing Meet Now to Windows 10 ... and taking away the standalone People app
- Why aren't there any Microsoft widgets on iOS 14? And why does it plan so few?
- (More) Xbox
- Microsoft couldn't have F'd up Xbox Series S/X preorders more if it tried. This is one area where it's doing as well as Sony.
- Microsoft announces a few new Xbox Series S/X accessories
- Halo 3: ODST hits PC in remastered form
- There's a new version of the Xbox (Beta) app on Android ... and it supports console streaming
- Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Install Windows 10 version 20H2 right now. There's no need to wait, assuming you're brave.
- App pick of the week: New browser versions. Firefox 81 picks up a new theme and Opera rethinks settings sync. Plus, Safari 14 on the past two macOS versions
- Enterprise pick of the week: Check out all the Ignite goodies. Book of News is live online for anyone to read: https://news.microsoft.com/ignite-2020-book-of-news/ A lot of the meatier Ignite sessions are available via "Virtual Hub" for anyone to watch: https://adoption.microsoft.com/virtual-hub/
- Stay tuned at 4:15 pm ET today for MJF and Paul doing an Ignite recap with the Patch & Switch guys and Jeff Sandquist
- Codename pick of the week: Project Nucleus
- Beer pick of the week: Wicked Weed Brewing French Toast. There were no Microsoft-made breakfasts this week for us Ignite attendees. But that doesn't mean you can't have a beer for breakfast! Wicked Weed in Ashville, NC, makes an imperial stout called French Toast. Vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, and dough flavor via the malts. It's 8.4 percent as so worth it: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30581/114498/
Hosts: Leo Laporte, Mary Jo Foley, and Paul Thurrott
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.