Jan. 10, 2018
Coming up in this episode…
* Twisted pair barb wire
* Cassette Tapes
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
* If you were in the virtual world, what would your pop culture avatar be?
* Voice mail from Krazy Joe
* Tiffany Mangan: Danaerys Stormborn on her dragon
* John Miller Jr. – Optimus Prime
On This Day In History for January 10, 2018
This is the 10th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 355 days remaining in 2018.
* It was on this date in 1776, that Thomas Paine published his pamphlet Common Sense.
* On January 10, 1812, the first steamboat on the Ohio River or the Mississippi River arrives in New Orleans, 82 days after departing from Pittsburgh.
* The Metropolitan Railway, the world’s oldest underground railway, opens between Paddington and Farringdon, marking the beginning of the London Underground on this date in 1863.
* January 10, 1870, John D. Rockefeller incorporates Standard Oil.
* 117 years ago today, the first great Texas oil gusher is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
* Also today in 1927, Fritz Lang’s futuristic film Metropolis is released in Germany.
* 56 years ago today, NASA announces plans to build the C-5 rocket launch vehicle, which became known as the Saturn V Moon rocket, which launched every Apollo Moon mission.
* Time Warner is formed by the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications on this date in 1990.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
* German astronomer, Simon Marius, born on this date in 1573.
* Lazzaro Spallanzani, the Italian priest, biologist, and physiologist was born 289 years ago today.
* English physician and academic, founded Birkbeck, University of London, George Birkbeck was born 242 years ago today.
* Born January 10, 1780, German physician and explorer Martin Lichtenstein.
* Carl Ritter von Ghega, Italian-Austrian engineer, designed the Semmering railway was born on that same date in 1802.
* Italian paleontologist, archaeologist, and ethnographer, Luigi Pigorini, born on this date in 1842.
* American architect, designed the Rookery Building and Monadnock Building, John Wellborn Root was born 168 years ago today.
* Issai Schur, German mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1875.
* Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy, the Russian journalist, author, and poet was born 135 years ago today.
* Born January 10, 1891, German mathematician and academic Heinrich Behmann.
* Katharine Burr Blodgett, the American physicist and engineer was born 120 years ago today.
* American engineer and inventor, Gordon Kidd Teal was born 111 years ago today.
* Sune Bergström, Swedish biochemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1916.
* American businessman, Roy E. Disney was born 88 years ago today.
* Also born on that same date in 1938, American computer scientist and mathematician, Donald Knuth.
* American singer-songwriter and musician, Donald Fagen is 70 today.
* Also turning 65 today is American singer-songwriter Pat Benatar.
* Also born on that same date in 1962, American computer scientist and academic, Kathryn S. McKinley.
* 03 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
* 06 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
* 08 – Elvis!
* 09 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
* 14 – Glynne Tolar