Feb. 14, 2018
Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
* Would you take the blue pill or the red pill and why?
* VM from JMJ
On This Day In History for February 14, 2018
This is the 45th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 320 days remaining in 2018.
* It was on this date in 1076, that Pope Gregory VII excommunicates Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor.
* It was also this date in 1530 that Spanish conquistadores, led by Nuño de Guzmán, overthrow and execute Tangaxuan II, the last independent monarch of the Tarascan state in present-day central Mexico.
* Also today in 1778, The United States flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time, when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte renders a nine gun salute to USS Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones.
* February 14, 1779, James Cook is killed by Native Hawaiians near Kealakekua on the Island of Hawaii.
* Also on February 14, 1835, The original Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in the Latter Day Saint movement, is formed in Kirtland, Ohio.
* Also today in 1849, In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first serving President of the United States to have his photograph taken.
* It was on this date in 1876, that Alexander Graham Bell applies for a patent for the telephone, as does Elisha Gray.
* Also on February 14, 1899, Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.
* That same date in 1912, The U.S. Navy commissioned its first class of diesel-powered submarines.
* February 14, 1912, Arizona is admitted as the 48th and the last contiguous U.S. state.
* Also today in 1918, The Soviet Union adopts the Gregorian calendar (on 1 February according to the Julian calendar).
* Also on February 14, 1924, The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company changes its name to International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).
* On February 14, 1961, Discovery of the chemical elements: Element 103, Lawrencium, is first synthesized at the University of California.
* It was on this date in 1990, that The Voyager 1 spacecraft takes the photograph of planet Earth that later become famous as Pale Blue Dot.
* The spacecraft NEAR Shoemaker enters orbit around asteroid 433 Eros, the first spacecraft to orbit an asteroid on this date in 2000.
* It was 13 years ago today, that YouTube is launched by a group of college students, eventually becoming the largest video sharing website in the world and a main source for viral videos.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
* German priest and mathematician, Johannes Werner, born on this date in 1468.
* American journalist and politician, invented the typewriter, Christopher Latham Sholes was born 199 years ago today.
* French astronomer and academic, Benjamin Baillaud, born on this date in 1848.
* George Washington Gale Ferris Jr., American engineer, inventor of the Ferris wheel was born on that same date in 1859.
* Scottish physicist and meteorologist, Nobel Prize laureate, Charles Thomson Rees Wilson, born on this date in 1869.
* Born February 14, 1882, American actor John Barrymore.
* Katherine Stinson, the American aviator was born 127 years ago today.
* Jack Benny, American actor and producer was born on that same date in 1894.
* Born February 14, 1898, Swiss-American physicist and astronomer Fritz Zwicky.
* Jimmy Hoffa, American trade union leader was born on that same date in 1913.
* American mathematician and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Herbert A. Hauptman, born on this date in 1917.