April 18, 2018
Coming up in this episode…
* Phoenix Film Festival
* Contact Lenses
* Quantum Spookiness
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Special Guest: Ben Ragunton from the Two Gay Geeks
On This Day In History for April 18, 2018
This is the 108th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 257 days remaining in 2018.
* It was on this date in 1506, that The cornerstone of the current St. Peter’s Basilica is laid.
* It was also this date in 1857 that “The Spirits Book” by Allan Kardec is published, marking the birth of Spiritualism in France.
* An earthquake and fire destroy much of San Francisco, California on this date in 1906.
* It was on this date in 1912, that The Cunard liner RMS Carpathia brings 705 survivors from the RMS Titanic to New York City.
* On April 18, 1923, Yankee Stadium: “The House that Ruth Built” opens.
* That same date in 1930, the British Broadcasting Corporation announced that “there is no news” in their evening report.
* It was on this date in 1949, that The keel for the aircraft carrier USS United States is laid down at Newport News Drydock and Shipbuilding. However, construction is canceled five days later, resulting in the Revolt of the Admirals.
* Also on April 18, 1980, The Republic of Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) comes into being, with Canaan Banana as the country’s first President. The Zimbabwean dollar replaces the Rhodesian dollar as the official currency.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
* English conductor, Leopold Stokowski, born on this date in 1882.
* Ukrainian Jewish-American physicist and academic, Maurice Goldhaber was born 107 years ago today.
* Clifton Hillegass, the American publisher, founded CliffsNotes was born 100 years ago today.
* Vladimir Hütt, Estonian physicist and philosopher was born on that same date in 1936.
* English actress, Hayley Mills, born on this date in 1946.
* American actor and producer, James Woods is 71 today.
* Also born on that same date in 1953, Canadian-American actor, comedian, singer and screenwriter, Rick Moranis.
* Also turning 56 today is American comedian and ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.
* American actor, producer, screenwriter, and talk show host, Conan O’Brien is 55 today.
* Also born on that same date in 1971, Scottish actor, David Tennant.
* Also turning 42 today is American actress, director, and producer Melissa Joan Hart.
* Taiwanese computer scientist and academic, Audrey Tang is 37 today.
* German chess grandmaster, Matthias Blübaum, born on this date in 1997.
* 18 – Skaifey (Anthony)
* 19 – Amanda (SusietheGeek’s daughter & Geek in Training)
* 21 – Kim and Kreg’s Anniversary
* 23 – Runtime
* If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 18, 2018
* In a New Video, Stan Lee Threatens to Sue Anyone Reporting on Claims of Alleged Elder Abuse
* An Obsolete Law Prohibits SpaceX From Broadcasting Videos From Space
* Billy ‘King of Kong’ Mitchell’s ‘Donkey Kong’ scores were a lie