ITS THE BIG DAMN PODCAST!
We talked to the founder of Lift Big Eat Big: Brandon Morrison. This one of the most fun podcasts we’ve had. Brandon was a delight and really gave us some new insights into the sport of STRONGMAN, building real strength and how CrossFit and specialization don’t need to be mutually exclusive.
We COULD give a quick synopsis, but we frankly talk about too much damn stuff, so here’s a bullet list.
- Why Brandon Morrison doesn’t like being called “Bro”.
- What he really means when he calls you “Chief”.
- How Derek watches “Biggest Loser” for all the wrong reason.
- Why we all hate running and why it’s bad news for power athletes.
- Why a strict Paleo or Low-Carb diet may not be your path to ultimate fitness.
- Brandon and I disagreeing about the existence of zombies.
- The difference between training for STRONGMAN and training for CrossFit with Strongman events.
- The joy of being called “obese” and “skinny” in the same day.
- Why protein shakes ata competition are pointless.
- The psychology of being destroyed by your workouts. (and why it may be ruining your progress)
- Discussions about why “The Hound” would make a good drinking buddy, but you should be training to be “The Mountain”.
- Why the spartans were assholes. (and slave-owners and kid-touchers)
- Are “Hybrid” and “Light weight” strongman events expanding or diluting the sport?
- Overcoming the “good ol’ boys” mentality of fringe sports and getting past the “back in the old days” bullshit.
- Creating an entry point for smaller athletes, because not all of us can lift 400lbs on our first day in the gym.
- The way the sport of fitness changes as you get heavier.
- What it means to be the “Little Buddy Helper” in the gym.
- The openness of CrossFitters and why that can be their greatest strength and greatest weakness.
- A series of dares or physical challenges are not the same as programming.
- The official end of bacon and leg day jokes.
- Eating 52 eggs and White Russians as a hangover cure.
- Eating until you fall asleep.
- Why the rounded-back dead lift may actually save your spine.
- Stupid people on comment threads (so, MOST of them).
- Shaking the tree of your own community to see how many idiots fall out.
- and… Not pooping.