Grit 'N Grind is truly dead in Memphis with the departures of Tony Allen and Zach Randolph. What's the new identity that replaces it? And who are all these dudes around Marc Gasol and Mike Conley, anyway?
Joe Mullinax, site manager for SB Nation's Grizzlies site Grizzly Bear Blues, joins us for a wonderful discussion about a franchise at a crossroads. Among the topics:
- This is now David Fizdale's team. No more of the old guard to stop him and add tension to the transition. Will it work? Will there be blowback if the team struggles?
- Why so much of the Grizzlies' success depends on Chandler Parsons ... and why that makes everyone nervous.
- Mike Conley and Marc Gasol deserve more love, so let's give it to them. Especially Conley. Did y'all realize how good he was last year? Can they duplicate that effort? Is there any chance Gasol gets traded if things go south?
- Who else will start alongside those two? Who will finish games? Can they get something out of players like Ben McLemore, Tyreke Evans, etc.?
- If you had to bet your house on a player being Memphis' third-leading scorer this year, who would you put your money on? Mike capes for Wayne Selden, which means he's probably losing his house.
- We run through our favorite Grit 'N Grind moments and the enduring legacy of that core of players.
- The all-important banana boat question.
- Predictions, etc. For once, we're more optimistic than Joe is.
This is the 20th of Limited Upside's 30 team previews leading up to next season. We're bringing together representatives from all 30 SB Nation team sites and other team-specific experts from the SB Nation/Limited Upside community to gauge the temperature of the fanbase heading into the season.
NEXT UP: Thunder