I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW. It’s honestly a travesty that they don’t do live shows in the U.S., because I would buy a ticket in a heartbeat.
For those who can relate - I am a huge Edward Gorey fan, so a mix of silliness, wryness, and morbidity is my ultimate dream - and Wooden Overcoats DELIVERS. I feel attached to all of the residents of Piffling Vale, and consistently enjoy learning more about them.
For a little more context (spoiler alert):
- There is a funeral home with a bowling alley and chocolate fountain, and it only grows (improbably) from there
- The only police officer in the village is also the owner of the candy shop (and yet she spends a lot of time explaining the ways in which eating sweets will eventually lead to an untimely demise)
- There are two hospitals but only one doctor, who is eternally falling asleep while working
- The village has a bus stop but no bus; the unruly village hoodlum teens hang out here, and it turns out that they mainly discuss the intricacies of modern art
- There is a short episode (which they create between seasons) about a publishing company called Random Mouse - because it’s actually run by mice. It features just the right amount of rodent puns (i.e. a lot of them)